Nonprofit group Knowledge Unlatched pioneers an open-access model:
- Participating libraries pick a list of scholarly books & collectively pay publishers an agreed upon fee for each book.
- Publishers make Creative Commons-licensed, DRM-free PDFs of the selected books available for download through the OAPEN digital platform (Open Access Publishing in European Networks)
- Pilot collection contains 28 books from 13 academic presses with publishers averaging $12,000 per book (authors ok’d access, receive royalties)
- 300 libraries included in the pilot
- Libraries Vote on books to release: some in academic libraries concerned that “esoteric scholarship” is the least likely to win votes and therefore the most likely to remain locked up, even if it’s urgently needed”